4.08.2010

Maybelline Define-A-Lash Macara

Introducing the first contender in the Triple Threat series...*drumroll*...Define-A-Lash in Very Black.  The question on everyone's mind is, will it deserve it's drumroll?

Well, that's the question on my mind anyways.  Will it be as great as the Define-A-Brow line?  Maybelline didn't think to add a handy lash-comb on the end of the mascara the way they do their brow pencil, but it does guarantee advertise "zero clump lashes".  It's even won the Allure Best of Beauty Editors' Choice Award 2007 as "Best Mascara for Day".


Claims:
"-Zero clump mascara creates stunning length with clean definition.
-Ophthalmologist tested, Contact lens safe
-Washable; also available in waterproof formula

For Best Results-Sweep mascara from your outer lash to inner lash, sweeping brush slowly from root to tip. Do not let dry between coats. Removes easily with soap and water or Maybelline Expert Eyes 100% Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover. "
*Source: Maybelline.com

I'm glad the website called this formula lengthening, because the box it came in didn't.  The first thing I noticed about this formula is that it was very "sheer" and indeed swiped on my lashes easily.  This is the only mascara in the set to come with a plastic brush.  It was far from "zero clump" though.  Perhaps the formula is a little old since it was in a promotional set, but this mascara actually clumped up on me a lot.  I blame the brush more than the formula, I feel like it holds too much product and doesn't provide even dispersion.  I had to run a lash comb through my lashes, but it did indeed provide "definition".  My lashes were coated evenly from root-to-tip and it caught even my little lashes (albiet a bit too much in parts).

*Application*

Before:

After:

After w/ lash comb and re-curling my lashes:



I was a little disappointed by this formula.  As you can see, it doesn't hold a curl (and in fact straightened the curl out of my lashes) and took more effort than it should have.  End result after all the fussing was nicely defined, long-looking lashes.  As with other Maybelline formulas, it didn't irritate my eyes, so at least it earned some points for that. 

The other area where this mascara stayed true to it's claims was washablity.  I ended up having a small cry-session somewhere between 3 and 5 hours of application, and it all came off.  It washed off without even soap, and left me stuck with racoon-face and brown eyelashes.  I can see this being a possible reason for it being a great "daytime" mascara, as it washes off without any problem if you need to apply a different formula for night.  I hate to give a product a bad review, so I'll call this mascara "just okay".  It's probably best for someone who has naturally long lashes and doesn't really want any coverage. 

It's too bad, because I love the Define-A-Brow line, but I think there are still some glitches to be worked out in this formula.  I'm willing to try it in the waterproof formula to see if there's any change in quality, but I would not repurchase.
Rating:
2
Consistancy: 3/5 (more watery/oily consistancy, not thick)

Coverage: 3/5
Clumping: 1/5
Smudging: 2/5
Flaking: 2/5
Waterproof: 0/5
Lasting Ability: 1/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

 

©2009Cinnamon Tiger | by TNB