3.30.2010

Maybelline Lash Discovery Mascara

Lately, I've been on a mission to hunt down a great lengthening mascara.  My lashes only really lack in length and curl, and I'm too much of a noob at make-up application to try and rely only on a mere brush-wand for curl in my lashes.  My first purchase was CG's Lash Blast Length; and while I consider it a decent mascara it just wasn't right for me.  I went back to my trusty Maybelline for my next purchase, a tube of their waterproof Lash Discovery formula. The itty-bitty brush looked great not only for my lower lashes (I swear, I really am one of those people who get mascara under their eye every time!) but for being able to do the tops of my lashes without losing any curl.

I paid $6.24(+tax) for this at my local Wal-Mart.  It was just a touch cheaper than the CG mascara which I actually ended up exchanging for this.  Sometimes I can still use up a product even if I don't love it; but not if it irritates my eyes.  So how did this mascara live up to it's claims?



Claims:
"-Exclusive lash-catching mini-brush allows you to get hard to reach lashes - from corner to corner, root to tip and the bottom, too.
-Lengthens and defines lashes
-No clumps or globs
-Contact lens safe and hypoallergenic
-Waterproof; also available in washable formula
For Best Results-
Apply mascara from your outer lash to inner lash, sweeping brush slowly from root to tip. Do not let dry between coats."*
*Source: Maybelline.com

Well, it performed pretty well!  Though I would like to disclose that I think the tube I bought had been on the shelf a little too long.  The dry/waxy consistancy was like any other mascara I've had that's past it's prime.  Too lazy to make an exchange again, but I will buy a second tube to test this.  This formula was drier/less creamy than either my Full 'n Soft or the LB Length, and I had to blot off extra mascara at both the end of the brush and where the brush and wand meet.  I don't know why but mascara loves to clump up around there.

The brush is fantastic for getting lower eyelashes and getting in-between my upper lashes & lower lashes so they finally stop clumping together.  I really dislike trying to pull my eyelashes apart...I applied it as the directions stated, and while it wasn't clump free, it applied thickly and did indeed give a little length.  Nothing amazing, maybe 20-30% increase.  I'd say length-wise it equals or just slightly exceeds the LB Length.  It holds a curl even through sleep, and on the waterproof factor performs better than any other formula I've tried.

There's a reason they say not to let this stuff dry between coats.  Once it dries it is s.e.t. and messing with it or adding more will only cause clumps & flakes.  That's my one big problem with this mascara BTW is the slight flaking (only really happens when I mess with my lashes, but that can be quite a bit with my allergies) and just small amounts of flaking, really.  Still it's worth mentioning though.  It really doesn't take a lot of swipes or work to get your lashes evenly covered, and I think it does a good job of defining too.  When I use this stuff I have to finish with a lash comb to get the few clumps out; I think a newer bottle would help the problem.  Overall I believe this formula just isn't as creamy as other mascaras I've tried, but it works very well and gives perfect coverage for hours.

If you need to layer your mascara with another formula, this one works really well.  I usually let it dry for about 3-5mins and then apply a coat or two of volume mascara (I use Maybelline Full 'n Soft) and it doesn't clump and really makes my lashes look like falsies!  Like any other Maybelline mascara, this one didn't irritate my eyes a bit!

*Application:*

Before

After
Also, here's what the Lash Discovery and Full 'n Soft look like together:
 

While it has a few character flaws, this is a great little tool to keep in your bag.  I wouldn't keep it in my purse or use it for traveling, but this mascara has so many different possiblities and wears so well and long, I have a feeling this little guy is going to come in handy for many, many occasions.

Rating:
4.2 (out of 5)
Consistancy: 3 | more dry than creamy (probably what adds length)
Coverage: 5 | fantastic, rich pigmentation and definition
Clumping: 2.5 | does clump, but it's easy to remove them while lashes are still wet
Smudging: 4.8 | doesn't really smudge unless my eyes get rubbed hard
Flaking: 4.5 | minimal flaking
Waterproof: 4.7 | lasted through sweating and crying, and most of the shower.  Still not perfect.
Lasting Ability: 5 | It's not going anywhere unless you make it.

2 comments:

Bobby J said...

Try Fresh Supernova and Imju Fiberwig together. Beautiful results. Lasting.

Bobby J
bobbybeauty.blogspot.com

April 2, 2010 at 3:56 PM
Christienne said...

I've been reading a bit about fiberwig mascaras lately...I'd really like to give them a try!

April 3, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

 

©2009Cinnamon Tiger | by TNB